What do you do with all that leftover turkey after Thanksgiving? Turkey Nachos with Cranberry Salsa, that’s what! I found this recipe in a Whole Foods flier years ago. I changed a few ingredients, then down-sized it for my one-butt kitchen. I’ve never attempted to cook a turkey in our motorhome, but many grocery stores sell prepared turkey breasts. You could also use rotisserie chicken.
Sometimes I make extra cranberry salsa for turkey tacos later in the week. “I like it. I love it. I want some more of it.” (Thanks to Tim McGraw for that love song I sing to the cranberry salsa.)
Active time: 20 minutes Total time: 25 minutes
One-butt kitchen needs:
- Convection microwave or oven
- An Oven Thermometer is necessary for two reasons. First, it indicates when the oven is preheated to the specified temperature. Second, it shows the actual temperature, which seldom matches what’s on the dial. My oven takes at least 10 minutes to preheat, and it’s usually about 10 degrees hotter than the dial.
- A Pizza Stone on the rack helps distribute the heat of the oven. Without it, food is likely to burn above the heating element and be undercooked on the sides.
- 1 cup cooked turkey (or rotisserie chicken), chopped
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup (or more to taste) whole cranberry sauce
- ¼ medium red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ lime (about 1 ½ tbsp), juiced
- tortilla chips
- 1½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
Preheat convection microwave to 425, or oven to 450 degrees.
Place chopped turkey in medium pan. Add taco seasoning and water. Stir until well mixed. Cover and heat over medium-low heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
Mix together cranberry sauce, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime juice.
Arrange tortilla chips on cooking pan. Scatter half cheese over the chips, add the turkey or chicken, then top with the rest of the cheese. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes, until cheese melts.
Transfer to serving platter. Top with avocado. Serve nachos hot with cranberry salsa.