To cut down on carbs, Kelsey Belsher, my dear friend and a creative cook, makes nachos using sweet mini peppers as the base instead of tortilla chips. Not only is this a brilliant idea, but I can also say from personal experience that the nachos are delicious. This has become my go-to Super Bowl favorite snack, as well as a year-round crowd pleaser.
I like to top them with homemade pico de gallo and avocado.
Your fingers will get a little messier, but that’s what napkins are for. I suppose you could also eat them with a fork.
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- Silicone pad or parchment paper to line baking pan
Serves 12 to 15
- 1 lb ground beef, bison or turkey
- 1 oz package taco seasoning mix (I used McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 3/4 cup water (per seasoning mix directions)
- 1 lb sweet mini peppers
- 6 to 8 oz cheddar and/or Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced (optional, but wonderful)
- Pico de gallo (or salsa)
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking pan with silicone pad or parchment paper for easier cleanup.
Prepare ground meat according to directions on spice package. Cut the sweet mini peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and stems. Put a spoonful of taco meat on each of the pepper halves. Place them next to each other on a baking sheet and top with shredded cheese. Cook until cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 minutes. Top with avocado and pico de gallo (or salsa).