The original recipe calls for clam and artichoke sauce to be served over linguini. Since I’m on a gluten-free diet, I substitute zucchini noodles or rice, or use gluten-free pasta. It’s easy to make zucchini noodles — some people call them “zoodles” — using a small, hand-held spiralizer. I have a Veggetti, which works fine for my purposes. A larger, counter-top model might be easier to use, but it would never fit in my one-butt kitchen.
Since this recipe can be made mostly with ingredients from the cupboard — canned clams and artichokes, and linguini or rice — it’s a good one to use when I haven’t had time for a run to the grocery store. If I’m planning meals for a week of camping, this is a tasty one for the end of the week.
Once when I made this we had some of the clam and artichoke sauce left over. Jim used it in an omelet, which was excellent.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
- Zucchini Spiralizer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, or more to taste
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, (or the whole can if you don’t have a use for the remaining artichokes)
- 10-oz can whole baby clams, drained
- 1 tbsp capers, or more to taste
- 2 to 3 tbsp grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 or 3 zucchinis (or 2 servings prepared rice or linguine)
In a heavy skillet or 2-quart saucepan, heat olive oil and butter. Stir in flour and cook 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Stir in broth, reduce heat and cook 1 minute. Add garlic, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; cook over low heat about 5 minutes. Stir in artichokes, clams, and capers. Continue cooking, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook zucchini noodles in a pan with olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, or cook rice or linguini according to package directions.
Put zucchini noodles, rice or linguini on individual serving plates. Top with sauce and grated Parmesan or Romano cheese. Garnish with parsley.