The best chili rellenos I ever tasted were stuffed with cheese, pecans, and pork. My friend Eduardo Cavazos spent all afternoon making them from his mother’s recipe. To enjoy similar flavors in a fraction of the prep time, I improvised this chili rellenos casserole.
In Maria Eugenia Cavazos’s original recipe, she used fresh poblano chiles and pork chops. My Americanized recipe uses canned diced green chiles and Del Real Carnitas. While my recipe bears little resemblance to Maria’s in appearance or taste, she provided the inspiration for my adaption.
This recipe calls for half of a package of Del Real Carnitas. If you are looking for how to use the remainder — other than eating them as is — here are two more carnitas recipes: carnitas nachos and carnitas poppers.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
One-butt kitchen needs:
- An 8 x 8-inch porcelain baking dish can be used to make casseroles, brownies, or other baked items.
- An oven thermometer is necessary for two reasons. First, it indicates when the RV oven is preheated to the specified temperature. Second, it shows the actual temperature, which seldom matches what’s on the dial.
- A 12 x 12-inch square pizza stone or 12-Inch round pizza stone on the rack helps distribute the heat of the RV oven. Without it, food may burn above the heating element and be undercooked on the sides.
- 1/2 packet Del Real Carnitas
- 3 4-oz cans diced green chiles
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican Four Cheese Blend
- 1 cup pecans, whole or pieces (I use pieces to mix with the green chiles and cheese, and reserve a handful of whole pecans for the top.)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup avocado or canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the RV oven to evenly distribute the heat.
In a bowl, combine diced green chilies, shredded cheese, and pecans. Spread this mixture over the carnitas.
In the same bowl, whisk eggs until very thick. Add salt. Add canola oil in a slow stream while continuing to beat. Pour egg mixture over green chiles. Add whole pecans to the top if desired. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.