Chicken peanut linguini was one of the meals I missed most when I first went gluten free in 2003. Since then I’ve discovered chicken peanut sauce is just as tasty over zucchini noodles (or “zoodles”), yellow squash noodles (are they “yoodles” from yellow squash?), spaghetti squash, rice or gluten-free linguini. If you don’t have to avoid gluten, serve it over your favorite pasta.
It’s often how much time I have, and sometimes what I have in the refrigerator or pantry, that dictates what gets served under this delicious sauce. When I don’t have much time, nothing beats Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. It’s precooked, and only needs 90 seconds in the microwave.
A spiralizer makes noodles from zucchini or yellow squash, although they can be purchased at many grocery stores in the produce section.
This recipe serves 2 to 3 people. Got leftovers? Lucky you! Use it as a dip with crackers or chips for a quick appetizer or lunch.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
- Spiralizer (to make zucchini or yellow squash noodles)
- Box grater or microplane (to grate fresh ginger)
- Food chopper (to mince garlic)
- Instant Pot (if you use spaghetti squash, there are three ways to cook it. This is the fastest. See link below.)
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 tbsp oil (avocado, canola, or olive)
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger root, pared and grated (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
- 1 tbsp regular or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Chinese sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- dash ground pepper
- dash crushed red pepper
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, skinned and boned
- zucchini or yellow squash noodles, spaghetti squash, rice, or linguini (gluten free or regular) prepared according to directions below or on package
- 2 tbsp scallions (green onions), minced
- peanuts for garnish
In small saucepan, heat oil over high heat, add garlic and ginger root and sauté for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, sherry, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and peanut butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly until sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken.
If you use zucchini or yellow squash noodles, coat them lightly with olive oil and heat them in a covered skillet over low heat until warm. If you use linguini or rice, cook them according to package directions. Three ways to cook spaghetti squash are: in an oven for 45 minutes, in a microwave for 15, or in an Instant Pot for 10. For instructions, click here.
Serve chicken peanut sauce over zucchini or yellow squash noodles, spaghetti squash, rice or linguini. Garnish with scallions and peanuts.