Blue cheese coleslaw is a nice switch from traditional coleslaw. It’s perfect for summertime picnics and pot lucks. Even people who say they don’t like blue cheese like this dish.
If I’m cooking for the two of us, I’ll make a full batch of dressing, but only prepare what we’ll eat of the salad.
White onions are milder than yellow or red onions, which make them the best choice for a salad. I’ve used both red and yellow onions when I didn’t have a white one on hand. The red one was okay, but I learned yellow onions are better cooked.
Preparation time: 20 minutes Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Specialized kitchen utensils:
- Nothing special for this one
Serves 12 to 15
- 1/2 head red cabbage, diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, minced
- 1 cup (5 oz) blue cheese crumbles (I love blue cheese, so I usually add extra)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup avocado, canola or vegetable oil
Put cabbage, onion and blue cheese in large bowl. Combine vinegar, mustard, celery seed, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar in jar and shake. Add oil to jar and shake again. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss coleslaw. Let sit for an hour before serving.