I fell in love with beet salads long ago when the best way to prepare a beet was to steam it for an hour. Since that salad took so long to prepare, we only ate it on special occasions. Several years ago I noticed something new (to me): packages of prepared beets in the refrigerated produce aisle. Love Beets and O Organics are two brands I’ve enjoyed.
My current favorite beet salad has five ingredients: beets, pecans, feta cheese, traditional balsamic vinaigrette, and salad greens.
For years I made this salad with plain pecans. I recently started using Sweet and Spicy Pecans, which makes the salad even better. Since these pecans keep well, I make a double batch so I’ll have some on hand. If you’re making Sweet and Spicy Pecans, allow an hour and 10 minutes (10 minutes to prepare and one hour to bake).
If you need to make the Traditional Balsamic Vinaigrette, add another 5 minutes to your preparation time.
Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 10 minutes
Specialized One-Butt Kitchen Utensils
- This Salad Bowl comes with tongs and a bamboo lid that can also serve as a cutting board. The tongs fit into the lid for storage. What a brilliant design!
- 8-oz package prepared beets
- Traditional Balsamic Vinaigrette
- salad greens for 4 or more (I’ve used O Organics Spring Mix and Fresh Herb Salad, as well as romaine.)
- Sweet and Spicy Pecans (or plain pecans, or other candied pecan)
- feta or goat cheese, crumbled
Slice the prepared beets into bite-sized pieces.
Place the salad greens in a large bowl. Pour a small amount of vinaigrette over the greens and toss to lightly coat the salad.
Divide the salad onto individual salad plates or bowls. Top with the sliced beets, pecans and crumbled cheese. Drizzle additional vinaigrette over each serving as a garnish.